Saznaj više →
Katina is an island which connects, as its Latin name suggests (catena), Dugi otok and Kornati. In the northeastern part of the island at sea level there is an interesting 20 meters long speleological object which the locals call “Rupa” (Eng. Hole).
Apart from the Mala and Velika Proversa passages, Katina is surrounded by shoals and reefs which make sailing around the island both interesting and dangerous. In the past, the bay of Proversa was known to the fishermen asthe safest bayon the whole island of Katina. From 1320 onwards the fishermen marked the mooring as Proversa in their old nautical charts. The big and safe mooring in Katina but also Telašćica area would from time to time shelter up to 90 sailing boats.
The area of the bay has a seabed rich in seagrass of considerable biological diversity. The seagrass also has a significant role in the preservation of the marine ecosystem.
In the beginning, Katina was owned by Zadar noble families while our ancestors lived of keeping sheep. In the late 19th century they slowly started taking possession of the land, and so did our great grandfathers. In 1886 they bought the island of Katina. At first they lived on a small field in the middle of the island and were occupied with cattle breeding. Over time they started planting olive trees and grape vines, which they were not allowed in the beginning. In 1924 they moved to the bay of Vela Proversa where they built a small house with an olive grove.
This is the exact location of our restaurant. Today we still own and grow around 120 olive trees, some of which are over 130 years old. Thus we yearly produce three to four tons of olives and about 500 kilograms of high quality extra virgin olive oil which we serve at our restaurant.